Friday, September 16, 2011

First Tests of the Semester

First tests of the semester are next week. Both. In the same week. What were they thinking?

Well, I totally lucked out. See, the majority of my class has Mondays off b/c they have clinicals on Wed/Fri while I have clinicals on Mon/Wed. They normally have a built in day at beginning of the week for reading/studying for class/tests. I don't. Mine day is on Friday - which of course tends to be the day that I say "heck with studying, the weekend is here!"  However, this past Wednesday, my clinical instructor told us that she's cancelling next Wednesday's clinical because she's involved in "Day of Caring" or something at the hospital. At first, my instinct was disappointment b/c we'll have to make up a clinical day at the end (always nice to get them done on-time and early). But then I realized that by not having clinical prep on Tuesday or clinical on Wednesday, that will give me almost two full days of additional study time for our Med-Surg exam on Thursday morning. This first test is "everything cardiac".  Diseases, disorders, dysfunctions, meds, physical assessment...  So it's going to be intense! My Psych test will be on Tuesday morning, but I'm less worried about that. The first few study guides were less about specific disorders and pathologies and more about intro to psych nursing and nursing process related to psychiatric care. While I'm definitely more motivated to study for the med-surg exam b/c I generally feel the Psych test will be more common sense...I really can't assume that- I will need to set aside time to review and focus on our Psych study guides.  I'm really nervous about these tests. Want/need to do well!

I didn't get much done today as I started back to work with the artist today. She's going to get my Friday mornings. I came home and was exhausted (from pool workout and work) and I napped for probably 2 hours. I've done a few hours of studying for med-surg (working on Study Guides) but I'm pooped and tomorrow's another full day.

Tomorrow I'll be going to the local airport to be a volunteer for their airport drill. Apparently there's going to be a mock crash scene, and volunteers will be crash victims or family members. They haven't given us much information, but we'll be oriented for a few hours tomorrow morning before the drill begins. I have to show at 7:30 in the morning and we'll be released around 2pm. I'm planning to head to the gym before hand (as not to waste precious study time tomorrow afternoon), but I've calculated that in order to make it to the airport thing on time, I'll be showing up at the gym when they open at 5:30. ugh. Don't even want to think about how early I'm going to have to get up.

That said...I probably should head to bed.

Oh, by the way...clinical prep for Day #2 went much faster. Got to bed about 12:30am --which allowed for about 4 hours of sleep. A HUGE improvement. I was still dragging during post-conference, but I did manage to get to the gym afterwards! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment