Monday, June 2, 2014

2014 Goals | An Update

The last two months have been about change. I bought a car, turned 40, and have recently just changed jobs. The good news is that I no longer work night shift. I am about two weeks into my new job at a cardiology clinic. No nights, no weekends, and no holidays! I do work 5 days a week which is an adjustment, but overall I expect my quality of life to improve (especially socially, physically, & emotionally).

I had hoped to do an quarterly update about how I'm doing with my 2014 goals, but alas, here it is early June...so this will have to do for a six month update.


So how am I doing with my goals?
  1. No fast food (alone) -- I've been 99% faithful. I snuck and got a Shamrock Shake twice during March... but I see that more as enjoying a rare dessert that just happens to come from a fast food place.
  2. No soda -- Been tempted, but 100% faithful.
  3. Trade Smart University Classes -- I started but didn't get very far. My goal is to restart classes in late July once I'm feeling more comfortable in my new job.
  4. Save $15K -- Well, this goal was to help facilitate the purchase of a "new" car. With rumors that my nephew would need a car this summer, I got busy and found one in April. I borrowed $$ from my parents to be able to pay cash. I bought a 2011 Honda Civic and I love it!  I am still paying insurance on my old car. Not sure when the hand off will take place. For the time being its parked at my parent's house. I'm hoping to pay off my parents in August.
  5. Read through the Bible in a year -- 80% faithful. I did really well until early May when my birthday, a bunch of night shifts lined up tight, I went on a trip to NYC and then came back and changed jobs two weeks later... I am behind right now about 17 days. My hope is to play catch up over the next week. 
  6. Increase MJH contribution % -- Never got around to it...new job!
  7. Host Pinterest Potluck x2 -- Still on my to-do list. Thinking this is another good plan for the summer.
  8. Camping Trip -- Still on my to-do list.
  9. Birthday Party/Celebration -- I had a small party at a local Indian restaurant. Due to a variety of circumstances, I decided to forgo something larger. My hope is to organize/host a scavenger hunt (and camping trip) later in the summer to extend the celebration of my 40th.
  10. Decrease TV/movie watching -- bleh. no progress.
  11. Explore Changing Churches -- I think it was February when I joined a small group...so for now I'm planning to stay connected to my Church Family--the one I've been with since 1997.
  12. Dating -- Still single. ha!  Not going to share a whole lot here, but I'll say that I ended up rejoining one of the sites I had given up. Not sure why as I rarely go on, rarely browse. Same for the other site. Dating and getting psyched up about dating while working night shift was hard. Now that I have my evenings "free" I'm hoping more opportunities come my way. But at 40, there are fewer and fewer single people. But I still believe there are some good ones left.
  13. Journal Entry +1/week -- 85% faithful. Some weeks more than one entry. Other weeks none. When I'm busy, this is what falls by the wayside.
  14. Bible Reading Daily -- See above. This is probably what I'm most disappointed about. But I won't give up!
  15. Gym 2x/week and Walk 2x/week -- I estimate 65-75% faithfulness.  During colder months I was pretty consistent. But I've gotten a little slack since early May. But now with new job and evenings free, I have NO EXCUSE! I've been thinking that I'd like to incorporate strength training, so I've been thinking that perhaps I'd go to alternating cardio and strength days with my weekends off. Not sure yet.
  16. Pinterest Project/month-- I missed my February deadline, but did two projects in March. So I'm at 100%.
  17. Pinterest Recipe/month -- 100% faithful. This has been surprisingly easy to do! In April and May I've done TWO new recipes a month.
  18. Lose 3-4 lbs/month -- No real progress here. Need a kick in the pants and maybe a gym or running partner!
Well that's it. Overall positive progress. Definitely on a good trajectory. Still time to make positive changes or progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment