Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June Pinterest Project | Set-in Oil Stain Removal

Okay, so my June project wasn't of the creative variety, but it did require hope that all would work out in the end!

So it being June now, I decided it was time to make the final clothing swap in the closet. Out with the sweaters and in with the capris! It was long-overdue, but life has been a bit crazy with the change of jobs. Nowadays I rarely wear anything other than scrubs during the weekdays (except PJ's). Thankfully the new job outside of the hospital means that my scrubs don't feel gross after working all day. So I rarely change clothes after work. Yay for less laundry!

Anywhoo, I'm getting off track.

All that to say... I've been slow to pull out my summer clothes. And to my horror, I discovered a favorite t-shirt and a favorite blouse BOTH had an unmissable oil stain on the front. The blouse was one that had been packed away since last fall! So, as I have grown accustomed to doing, I checked Pinterest and found a method to try. Honestly, I was doubtful, but I had a enough hope to give it a try. And boy, am I glad I did!

I had totally planned to take before and after photos and document my success (or failure) here, but in my excitement, I completely forgot! So you'll just have to trust me!

Follow the link above for the detailed instructions. But the gist is that you use WD-40, baking soda, a toothbrush, and Dawn dish soap, in various steps, to remove the set-in stain. I followed her steps exactly and it worked!

There was a time when I wasn't sure I wasn't doing it correctly (baking soda being rubbed into WD-40/oil stain), but apparently I was doing it right. It was just hard to tell amid the dust of baking soda all over my blouse. 

I will say that I used name-brands of everything except the baking soda.  WD-40 with a straw device. Check.  Dawn dish soap (blue). Check. A box of baking soda and a used toothbrush. That's it!

I'm so happy to have rescued two of my favorite tops!  Definitely worth a try on stubborn oil stains--even if you've already washed/dried the item multiple times.

Another win for Pinterest!





No comments:

Post a Comment