Thursday, July 31, 2014

July Pinterest Project | DIY fly paper

I had a fly living in my apartment for two weeks. Every day I hoped I find him dead on a window sill. So one day I looked on Pinterest to see if I could find any fly capturing solutions that didn't require a fly swatter. I found instructions for making your own fly paper using brown paper bag, twine, honey, sugar and water.

So you basically heat up the honey, water and sugar until liquidy (but not burning) and then dip the brown paper bag into the honey mixture and then hang up to dry. I chose to recyle a brown paper bag from Chipotle (you know, the ones that look like gift bags) and cut out the center of the bag front keeping the handles intact. That way I didn't have create a means by which to hang the paper. It was very easy to make the honey mixture, melt it and apply it. Most frustrating party was that it was ridiculously very slow to dry... hours and hours! BUT it IS really sticky.  Unfortunately my fly was not at all interested in my fly paper.

Pros: Easy to make!
Cons: Didn't work. Waste of time and resources. I ended up throwing my DIY fly paper out after 2 days (and deleted my pictures off my camera)!!

I ended up accidentally "catching" the fly in an empty plastic 2 liter lemonade bottle that I had saved, hoping to use for a future Pinterest project. oops!


No comments:

Post a Comment