Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Moving Right Along

Another great clinical day. Today wasn't that busy, but I did get to go with my patient down to radiology to watch them insert a Hohn central line (on my patient). Pretty cool. Not much going on with my patient, he was pretty independent and able to handle his ADL's for the most part. Today was the last General Assessment we have to do this semester and last care plan that we'll have to submit (after the fact). I think it's just a end-of-the-semester-I'm-so-ready-to-be-done-with-this-semester feeling. It was nice to have a pretty relaxed clinical day. I felt more organized..but granted I wasn't running my legs off either. Next week I'll probably get a patient that needs more care...but that will be okay because I won't be having to write up an extra assessments or careplans after this week. Bring on the tough stuff next week! ;P

Hard to believe we've only got two more clinical days and the last one is a mix of patient care, partying with unit staff (we bring the food) and then lunch out as a clinical group. So next week is our prime week to get some added skills experience. Haven't had the pleasure of inserting a catheter, but for many skills it usually is a matter of being in the right place at the right time with the right patient!

Tomorrow I have a skills test on drug administration. Basically administering oral, injectionable and IV meds...and paying attention to asceptic technique and being careful to observe 3 checks and 5 Rights of Medication Administration. A bit nervous since we haven't had but 1-2 weeks on the various drug admin topics...and this is pretty important stuff! Next week we'll be doing venipuncture. Woot!

One thing I wish our program offered is a pathophysiology course. It's not currently required. I think BSN programs require it...but really I think it would be soooo helpful as we work on care plans and understanding the various needs of patients with specific disease processes and conditions. Right now we are only learning about the disease processes of our patients and not across the spectrum. So I've submitted my recommendation to our student rep on the Curriculum Committee for the nursing program. One option I do have is to see if I can take Patho at UVA...but then I'd have to apply to UVA and pay big bucks to take it online at UVA.  That's just silly. But might be what I have to do.  Right now, to get by to learn about disease processes of my patients (for care planning) I have an old Patho text book that I swiped from the local recycling station. It's 12 years old...but really I'm sure that basics are pretty much the same. I might see if I can find used copy of the Patho text that UVA nursing students use...

We got grades back for our 2nd lecture test...again I scored an 88. Well, I'm consistent. I really had hoped to do better. But again, I'm not sure how I could've studied any harder. Friday we'll learn what we missed and what the majority of the class struggled with. There were a few that I knew I missed... not sure if I want them to be stupid mistake or not. So we've only got one more lecture test and then the final comprehensive exam. I really need to get high A's if I'm going to get an A in this class. Frustrating. I'm doing very well on my careplans, but we don't get grades for those ;(

Well, I think I am fighting another cold. Just a touch of a sore throat and I think a runny, stuffy nose. I just need to get through Friday. I'm supposed to donate platelets on Saturday, but I'm guessing I'm gonna have to cancel. Bummer.

Well, onto review skills videos for medication administration. Hoping I can stay awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment