Friday, August 12, 2011

10 Days Left of my Summer Vacation

Greetings on a beautiful, sunny, warm Virginia day! Note I did not say hot. It's actually quite pleasant. I'm so ready for fall temps...but really not ready for what's about to hit a little over a week from now.

Our Psychiatric Nursing course has been posted on on our Blackboard and so I've been downloading all the docs that have been posted so far. Twenty three. Syllabus, calendar, and the rest are mostly clinical documents. No doubt I have killed a few trees this afternoon...  I'm so glad God gave me a bent for being a planner and organized. I'm definitely not a neat freak and definitely not obsessive-compulsive when it comes to bathroom cleanliness, but I am INSANE about staying on top of requirements, instructions and rubrics for school. It's the ONLY way to make sure that I don't forget anything or drop any balls. I hate looking incompetent and clueless, so it's pretty much a guarantee that by the time I step in to my first class/clinical setting, that I will have read every document given to me for that class. Yeh, I'm one of THOSE people who stop and read the instruction manual. 

If my Psych docs are any indication, this semester is going to blow my mind (no pun intended). I was reminded yesterday that this Psychiatric Nursing course is considered an intensive writing course. lovely. Well, at least it's not creative writing or a research paper, those I would need serious anxiety meds for. :/

Nothing has been posted for Adv. Med-Surg. But after being overwhelmed with the above twenty-three docs, I'm a-okay if they don't post anything until later next week.

So in my last week of freedom, I have the following must-do list (aside from work/gym):
  • File VA taxes (refund)
  • Get car inspected (expires end of August) + find out why the check-engine light is on
  • Vacuum/Wash car (this will just make me feel better)
  • Haircut (I know it's time when I can't remember the last time it was cut!)
  • Do couple trial runs at downtown gym (aquatic class + getting ready at gym) in preparation for lecture days
And MAYBE, I'll get to watch an embalming at local funeral home next week. Need to remember to call.
(Which reminds me...I never did get to the women's prison to observe healthcare/nurses there, maybe I can work on that for during C'mas break)

In other news... I joined my gym this week and learned about their "Slimdown" program. It's a weekly weigh-in and 30 minute group discussion generally focused around nutrition and/or exercise tips. It's really more about behavioral modification than about calories in/out (like getting enough sleep, getting veggie's daily, etc..). I'm doing fairly well with food choices and regular exercise at the moment, but when the busyness of school kicks in, I will be glad to have a weekly reminder of my goals. The program is set up that it "costs" $20/month, but if you weigh-in weekly and complete an online record, they'll credit you back $5 per week (meetings/discussions are optional). So essentially if you simply show up, it's FREE. Who says no to FREE?! They offer four different times that you can weigh-in and go to the meeting, but sadly only one of them is feasible for my schedule. But at least there IS one. :D

Tonight I have to put Netflix on hold (end of billing cycle), as I do at the beginning of every semester. It's always a sad moment. But I try to counter it with noting when the semester holidays are: labor day, fall break, and thanksgiving break! Ah, the little things that carry us!

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment