Thursday, August 4, 2011

Clinical Assignments!

Today we FINALLY got our Med-Surg and Psych clinical assignments for the fall. For Med-Surg I am going to be on the cardiac unit at the local teaching hospital. I'm excited but a bit scared/nervous not knowing what we'll see or experience. I have a feeling I'll be dreaming EKGs and lab work!

Psych will be at a State facility over an hour a way. Despite the distance, I'm actually very glad to not be at the local hospital again as it's the ONLY place I've done clinicals so far. It will be very nice to have a different experience! The patients I'll be working with will be those who have been institutionalized, whereas I think the ones at the local hospital are shorter-term stays. I originally thought clinicals were going to be Wed/Friday, but somehow I lucked out and got a Monday clinical for Psych (not Friday). Rumor has it that Psych prep is different (not requiring trip to the hospital the day before), so I'm hoping that means that I can go stay overnight at my parent's house the night before, cutting 45 minutes off the drive! Woo hoo! Also, Psych clinical starts at 8 am (an hour later than normal clinicals). Nice!

Hard to believe there's a little over two weeks before classes start. Excited, but also sad to be heading into that crazy-life world again.

I'm seriously considering joining the local gym full-time. My temporary membership ends right before classes start, so I need to make a decision soon. While the fitness center at school is free, it does not have early morning hours and may not be available the afternoons when I need it. It's also closed weekend and during school breaks (holidays etc..)  The local gym is open all the time, plus has the aquatic classes I love AND is on my side of town! Why mess with a good thing? I've lost close to 10 pounds (although I can't really tell), and I'd like to keep the momentum. I'm looking at my schedule and thinking I could pull off a few early morning aquatic classes each week on lecture/prep days, and cardio after clinicals. It will require advanced planning on my part (swimsuits laundered, gym bag packed the night before, showers/getting ready at the gym in the mornings). The only thing that I worry about is getting enough sleep. Our class/clinical schedule does not seem to allow for much time to get reading/studying done (except on weekends)...therefore if I'm up late studying/reading, it will surely mess with my desire to get to gym early--especially if I'm not getting enough sleep. I will have to be extra focused this semester. Pfft. Humbug! No fun for me.

Well, off to figure out my "life schedule" for next semester now that I know when/where my clinicals & classes will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment