Monday, August 20, 2012

RN Orientation: Week Four

Well, I'm already half over with week five and I realized I have not posted on week four!

I'm doing a bit better with packing sufficient food and taking breaks to eat. I've tried a few protein shakes (soy, whey, other) with mixed results. I've started packing two hard-cooked eggs which are quick and easy to eat (if I peel the night before). And I'll eat one mid-morning and another mid-afternoon. I also made a batch of peanut butter balls (PB, honey, powdered milk) and they've been tasty treat that I look forward to. I think part of my issue of feeling tired and hypoglycemic is partly being dehydrated, so I'm trying to make more of an effort to drink more water throughout the day with a goal of drinking 16 oz in the morning before work and 16 oz at lunch and 16 oz on my way home. It hasn't worked out completely that way, but I when I have consumed more water, I have felt better. Of course more water means more trips to the bathroom - which often feel like a luxury to a day-shift nurse!

There are certainly moments where I feel completely overwhelmed and clueless as to what to do or what's expected. I was an excellent student but it doesn't mean that I retained it all (disease processes, meds, heart rhythms, etc...) And here I am learning so much at one time, that I feel like I'm not retaining it very well. But with practice comes familiarity.

In school I never got to insert an IV in a live person (only fake arms) and within the last week I've had two opportunities to insert them but b/c of various circumstances I didn't get to... But chances are I would not have been successful anyways as BOTH patients were elderly and ended up being VERY difficult sticks...even for the experienced nurses (requiring several attempts). My time will come!

In a few weeks I will be caring for three patients "independently" with my preceptor as backup. I'm a bit nervous about this as every day I'm experiencing all sorts of new scenarios with each patient I'm assigned. And while I feel comfortable with certain aspects of patient care and assessments, the other aspects such as calling docs, IV therapy, patient teaching, answering patient questions, knowing protocols for post-procedures and other scenarios (stroke, chest pain etc...), well, they are a bit more intimidating. Everyone says I'm doing well, but yet I have a lurking fear that I just have everyone fooled. But I KNOW that I will rise to every opportunity. Every new RN has strengths and weaknesses and deals with feelings of insecurity and feeling stupid. But we all have to start somewhere. Everyone has been so nice and supportive and encouraging -- it's my own insecurity that makes my sleep a bit restless and not restful.

I'll write again in a few days with update on this week (week five) and some things I'm looking forward to that are not work-related.



No comments:

Post a Comment