Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dosage Calculations | First Week of Classes

Here's a link we were given this week to find further Dosage Calculation problems for Nursing Students:


http://www.alysion.org/dimensional/analysis.htm


If you are considering nursing school...you would be very wise to go ahead and learn about Dimensional Analysis! In my ADN program, we are required to take a Dosage Calculations Test every semester!  First semester we must pass with 80% proficiency or better. If we do not pass, we have ONE more opportunity to retake it. Second, Third and Fourth Semesters we have to pass with minimum of 90% proficiency.  I'm thinking there are only 10 questions.


There are people who do not pass and have to end up dropping out of the program b/c they did not pass the required Dosage Calc Test during their first semester. If you've been reading my blog, you'll know I took the Dosage Calc class this past summer in order to prepare me. It's not a required class--but it can help if you are feeling a bit insecure about your math skills (and unit cancelling). Our class focused on using the Dimensional Analysis method (there are other methods--fractions/proportions which are being phased out of many nursing programs). 


Obviously, the last thing I wanted to do was to get into this competitive program, quit my job and then get dropped from the program after week 2! So it was worth the $150 for the class (tuition/book) and the time. It was frustrating at times...but now I feel adequately prepared and confident I will do well. For all the problems that I do now...it's rare for me to get one wrong. So I am confident I will do well. Our first official Dosage Calculations Test will be Sept 17th.


Some other problems that some 2nd Year students found are located here and here. The answers are provided for the first link...but they don't offer DA for how to check your work. The second link does not have answers attached (sorry).


Well, this was the first official week of fall semester. All in all a good first start! I have clinical on Wednesdays, lab skills on Thursday afternoons and then lecture/theory on Friday mornings. Those three components make up our NUR 108 course which is called "Fundamentals of Nursing" or Nursing I. Not sure what the equivalent is for other ADN programs. Clinical did not meet the first week and will start next week. For our first 3 weeks we'll be at a long-term care facility (aka nursing home) and will be "gently" broken into the clinical experience that way. After that I will be at UVA for clinicals. Which kinda adds another layer of excitement/stress.


Donated platelets today and ran into a gal who is starting her 2 year at the same school. It was good to hear from her about her experiences. Everyone's experience is different, but I like hearing about it. Helps prepare me.


Not much freaking out. I do have moments when I have to calm myself down and basically remind myself: "This is something you can do...THOUSANDS of nursing students survive and graduate every year. You are intelligent and organized and will do well".  Positive self-talk...but it's true. I have totally surprised myself in my ability to do well the past year with some tough classes. It will get tougher, and I may struggle...but I can do this. I think nursing school is going to be a multi-vitamin to my prayer life!


I do need to apply an update about expenses thus far (Boy am I grateful for my scholarship!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment