Friday, July 20, 2012

Bad Dream

Last night I had my first dream related to starting my new job. You know...those dreams where everything is crazy and goes unbelievably wrong and when you wake up you are sooo relieved that it was just a dream. For me, throughout my dream I was in a state of frustration, stress, embarrassment and completely overwhelmed. When I woke up, I was so relieved that it was not real and started processing through all the problems encountered in my dream and how I should've handled them or how I could've prevented the problem in the first place. For example....in my dream, I had multiple patients (five?) in one room and I had an elderly patient who was peeing endlessly and consuming all my time as I repeatedly tried to clean her up! Hello??? Why the heck did no one think to put a brief on her? And because of this I had not gotten any vitals on any of my patients and not a single assessment either! In my dream I was glued to this patient and stressed out about not getting to my other patients. Ack!

This afternoon I was telling a friend from nursing school about the dream, and she laughed when I told her that I reviewed everything that went wrong in my dream. She said... "It's like you were evaluating your nursing interventions!"  Yeah, what interventions?!?! hahah!  But it's true- I was using the nursing process in my dreams (albeit mostly unsuccessful), but especially after I woke up when I starting thinking through all the things I could've/should've done instead. I guess I learned something in school!

So there you have it... I guess I'm experiencing some anxiety about starting my first RN job. I guess I should be prepared for some more crazy dreams in the coming days, weeks and months. So not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment