Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Why I Want to Be a Nurse

Once upon a time I promised to post my "Why I Want to Be a Nurse" paragraph. This was required when I applied to my nursing program. It's kinda fun to go back and read my thoughts from over two years ago.


Why I Want to Be a Nurse!

I recently spent a year living in West Africa where I worked with a health-oriented NGO. My days were a mishmash of emotions as I poured myself into my work as a nutrition volunteer. I experienced great heartache as I uncovered the willful neglect of a malnourished four-year-old child. And then experienced profound joy and pride five months later when that same child was growing and laughing and learning how to walk again. Those experiences, and many more, revealed to me that I have the heart of a nurse, but I am frustrated with my lack of knowledge to really be effectual in that role. I carry in me a desire to educate and to bring hope and encouragement to my patients. To advocate and fight for those who have no voice and to empower those who have lost their voice. To help families find solutions for themselves and to laugh and cry with them as they walk uncertain paths. To promote dignity and life in the midst of the most challenging of circumstances. I want to be a nurse so that I can make a positive difference in people’s lives—whether they are taking their first breath or last breath. I also want to be a nurse because the nursing field is diverse and affords limitless opportunities for learning and professional development. The demand for nurses has also made it a field where there is excellent income potential and opportunities for advanced education. And finally, I want to be a nurse so that when earthquakes and tsunamis, wars and famines happen across the world, I will have critical skills that can be put to use immediately!

Copyright © 2010 Joy Hancock.
This is my intellectual property. Please do not steal and/or use any portion of it for your own use. It would be unwise and unethical to take my words to use as your own. Think.



No comments:

Post a Comment