Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Clinical Prep is BACK.

Today marks the beginning of clinical prep for spring semester. We've had two weeks of orientation and tomorrow is our first day of patient care in Pediatric Nursing. I'm at a children's rehab facility. Patient assignments were made yesterday afternoon, but due to my Maternity clinical I wasn't able to get my assignment or gather data until AFTER my clinical --which was around 10pm. So after stopping by the rehab facility, I finally got home around midnight. I'll have all day today to prep for tomorrow's clinical. I'm really hoping that I will make good use of my time and get my prep work done early and be able to spend the early evening reviewing skills I will have to do with my patient. AND GET TO BED AT A REASONABLE HOUR.  I've been doing prep work on Tuesdays for the past two semesters...this is no different. So to me, they are known as "Torture Tuesdays" because it's a LONG day of researching, writing and prepping with bedtime usually coming after midnight and only 3-4 hours of sleep before getting up again to be at the hospital.
Thankfully this semester I don't have to park and take a bus, but instead of a 7am start, we have to be on our unit at 6:30am. So it still means getting up insanely early. Once I finish this post, I'm going to create an estimated schedule for today's prep. If I have to be up at 4:30am (I haven't decided yet), then I'd do well to get to bed by 9:30 tonight. Fingers crossed. Please note that I really only consider Tuesdays as the torture day. I really do enjoy clinicals and all that we learn there! So Wednesdays are usually pretty great. Tomorrow I have an infant to care for!

Yesterday was my first day of Maternity Nursing and I was in the Labor & Delivery (L&D) part. Bummed that I didn't get to see a birth, but I'll be back in L&D next week and my instructor said I'll definitely be assigned to the patient that is mostly likely going to deliver during my shift. IF there's a patient! Last night there were only three laboring moms. I'll also have two more chances when I work in Nursery--as the nursery staff usually provide the Baby Nurse at the time of delivery. The wonderful thing about Maternity/OB is that we as students can't really prep for our patients. We have stuff to read, drugs to be familiar with, and a mental care plan for the moms and babies in the various aspects of maternity care, but it's not the same as with Med-Surg or rehab patients. I think I'm going to really like Maternity Nursing!

Have a good week everyone.

P.S. I totally recommend typing in "newborn" to Google Images... there are some impossibly cute pictures that will make you melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment