Friday, February 10, 2012

Who Doesn't Need a Little Drama?

So today I took my first Peds test of the semester. This semester the faculty are allowing us to take in a 3x5 card with any information on it that we want. Tests are application oriented, so having facts on hand doesn't guarantee doing well. So I took the test, and felt like I had done really well. In fact the test felt kinda easy. There were two questions that I knew I had guessed on, so after class I went out to the foyer of the building and flipped through my textbook to see if I could find the information. Shortly thereafter, my instructor walked by (she had just run the scan-trons) and asked if I was okay. I explained I was trying to figure out the answer to the immunization question (which I did get wrong)...and she then proceeded to say I had done "really well" on the test. My heart leapt with joy at the news imagining I had earned an A, but was still cautious because "really well" can mean different things to different people!

So I drove home, hopeful, encouraged and motivated to get a lot done this weekend -- mentally making my to-do list. Been a good week - a fast week. It seemed to fly by (a good sign for the rest of the semester)!!

Relaxing, I got caught up on the last episode of Grey's Anatomy. Then I got an email stating test grades had been posted, one question had been dropped and that the class average was 86%.  I logged on to Blackboard to check my posted grade.

83.7%.  Um. What? Wait. But, she said-- Huh? But, I thought--

Stunned. Disbelief. Shock. Depression.  What am I going to do? I thought that test went well. Was even on the easy side. But now???  Sigh.

So I emailed my instructor - mentioning that she had told me that I had done really well and that this C was disconcerting as I normally earn A's and B's on my tests.  I was really hoping that there had been some sort of error. I had felt like I had done well. And she told me that I had done well. But a C?

I went on and watch another TV show on Hulu.com -- so unmotivated to do anything...needing the shock to wear off.

Then I get a reply back from my instructor. She is so apologetic. I did do well. I got a 94%!!!! My grade had been entered wrong. Something to do with scan-trons not being in alphabetical order and that she missed the error when she checked grades. More shock. Relief. Elation. Gratitude.

But then I wonder. Was my grade switched with someone else's? Did someone think they got an A when they actually got a C? Yikes. I wonder what would have happened if I had not emailed her. I suppose that I would have figured it out next week when we go over the test.

So the week ended on an up. And perhaps the "up" was an even higher "up" than it would've been because of how low it got there for a while.

I really like my instructor and know it was an accident! I am just glad that I emailed and that she quickly resolved it. It would've been a HORRIBLE weekend otherwise.

Whew.

On another good note. I have officially applied for graduation. And will be ordering my nursing pin soon :)    90 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment