Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Care Plans, First of the First

Today I worked on my very first Care Plan (CP) which was skin-oriented based on the Skin Assessment we had to complete last week during clinical. It being our first CP we only had to do one Nursing Dx and three interventions/rationales. Subsequent ones will require us to do three priority Nursing Dx with expected outcomes, as well as appropriate interventions...(I'm still a bit unclear if there's a minimum number of interventions they expect).

This semester they have us creating CP's after caring for our patient (rather than before). Next semester we'll be going in the day before clinical to get data on our patient and then will write a CP before caring for that patient. But for this first clinical experience, they just want us to learn how to create them and get feedback so we can get solid on our CP'ing skills before next semester.

I think I completed it as they expected. It's always hard to know for the FIRST OF ANYTHING if you've completed it to their expectations. Plus what my clinical instructor wants may be different than what another clinical instructor is expecting. I'm the one who reads the instructions and checks/rechecks to make sure that I've done what they've asked. But there still might be something I missed. I'll have to wait until next week to get feedback on this CP. Thankfully we'll have gotten feedback from this CP before we are expected to do another one. The good thing is that I know my clinical instructor really is taking her role seriously. She's tough in a good way. I like it. The bar is set high, but she's supportive and encouraging, but won't let us get away with anything. It's awesome. I've heard stories from previous years clinical instructors who were more or less absent and didn't give helpful feedback on clinical assessments, assignments. That would frustrate me to no end not knowing if I was doing it right or not. The worst thing is to get half-way through the 2 year program and then have a really tough clinical instructor rake you over because of your work--when it passed the approval of previous instructors.

Since my clinical section had to miss our first clinical, we've been given an opportunity to do a make-up clinical this Friday at a local highschool for about 5 hours. We'll be assisting with the hearing/vision screenings. I'm looking forward to it. Should be interesting!

- -  break - -

Ack!  Earlier about 8pm, I realized that I had forgotten to wash my lab coat, so managed to get a load in/out by 9 pm and just finished ironing it.  So just a few minutes ago I went to look for my scrubs to lay them out. Heaven help me, but they were STILL in the dirty clothes! Argh. All week I thought they were ready to go since I saw my scrub pants in the closet. But turns out that was my second pair of scrub pants --without a top! So now I've got to stay up until they are washed/dried. Can't leave them in the dryer b/c they'll be all wrinkly in the morning. Ack. Well, thank goodness that I lay everything out the night before.

It seems everyone in the house will be getting up during the 4 am hour tomorrow morning. The Homeowners are  in town and tomorrow morning Mr. Homeowner has to fly back to Colorado for a funeral and will be flying out at 5 am something...so now I don't feel so bad about getting up and showering at 4:30!  And not so great is the Mrs. Homeowner is coming down with a cold :-(  Hmm? need to go find some immune boosters! I do NOT want to be sick again so soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment