Monday, October 25, 2010

Second Fundamentals Test Coming Up!

Friday we have our second fundamentals lecture/theory exam. I have not yet started studying for it.

Thankfully, I did manage to complete my lab skills readings quiz for Thursday and my lecture readings for Friday (for after the test) this past weekend and completed the General Assessment write up today...all that remains is to watch a bunch of skills videos (for skills lab), write one care plan and finish up my Nurse-Client Interaction assignment. The NCI proved very challenging last week as my patient was on isolation precautions. So no paper was allowed to go in/out of the room. So I had have to depend largely on my brain to recall the 5 minute conversation and then to evaluate the conversation and non-verbals for therapeutic and non-therapeutic conversation. And I was very busy with my patient, so it was tough to find time to recall/write down the conversation. I understand we'll get to do this again next semester and then again in our psych clinical during our 2nd year.

Not yet overwhelmed or nervous about this test...but I REALLY want to do better than last time (88). I would LOVE to get an A in this class. And the tests are where that happens. We have a quiz average that is included, but I do not see how I will score lower than 95 average on that...but really hoping for a 100 (once they drop quizzes). I anticipate I'll try to study some hours tomorrow and Wed/Thursday evenings.

I'm going camping this Friday/Saturday to celebrate the 2nd test being over and hopefully relax a bit. I'm only going to spend one night (could go for two) b/c I need to get basic life stuff done, plus probably some studying too. We've got our next lab skills test a week from Thursday...on meds administration (oral, topical, injection, IV etc...) so I do need to plan for that!  Sadly, we won't actually get to do med administration until next semester.

Oh, already have idea of next semester's schedule:  Two classes:  Nursing Fundamentals 2 and Pharmacology.  Monday morning is our Fundamentals Lecture, Tuesday morning is Pharmacology lecture, Wednesday and Fridays are our clinical days with clinical prep on Tuesday afternoon/evening. So it looks like my weekends will be eaten up with lecture prep! ACK! I will have option to take Pharmacology either in classroom or online format. I'm leaning towards the online format...simply to cut out time it takes to travel to school and sit through lecture. I really wish they could tell us if performance/grades were higher in one version than the other. sigh.

Tomorrow afternoon I am interviewing for seasonal employment at the distribution center for a local electronic retailer. They need folks from end of November through the holidays. I'd need to have reduced hours for the first couple weeks after Thanksgiving b/c of school exams, but can work plenty of hours after that through Christmas. I really don't want to work EVERY DAY during the holidays, as I am looking forward to a break. Maybe I'll just rest in January if I'm not needed to work. But the money will be nice supplement to my bank account and being able to not stress over gift-giving this year. I also probably need to figure out if I plan to go to Ohio for Christmas. But that largely depends on what my other sisters plan to do and usually they don't make plans early. New Years is when we do the full family thing (all sisters, parents, nieces/nephews)...so it's a matter of figuring out where I'll be for C'mas Day.

I probably should post an update of my expenses here soon. I keep forgetting...plus not a lot of time. We'll it's time for me to head for bed...another full day tomorrow of school assignments/studying, job interview and getting ready for clinical on Wed.

No comments:

Post a Comment