Monday, May 2, 2011

Three down and one to go!

 I feel GREAT and relaxed! Last week was so crazy with all the unexpecteds heaped on top of the pressure to take Pharm Test and Final and start prep for this morning's test. Right now, I feel like I can breathe and I'm not feeling near the same pressure. I've got 2.5 days to study for Med-Surg final and prep for Haiti. I think it's doable. My living room is my sorting and packing space for all things Haiti. I'm taking a trunk-like container (with wheels) for all the meds/supplies and it's right at 45 lbs. I'm hopeful that my personal stuff (bug tent, air mattress, snacks, clothes, fan and 8 D-cell batteries etc...) will all fit in my other checked bag and carry-on.  My bug tent is scheduled to be delivered today. And the SansBug people were really great about me returning the other one.

Last night I stopped taking my Allegra and instead took Claritin (the bottle expired in December!). My hope is that the Claritin will take over sufficiently and that I'll get the Allegra out of my system. I had considerable back pain during my test this morning, so it's just a waiting game to see when/if the back pain will dissipate. Hopefully soon! I've got appts with chiropractor on Wed and Friday, so I wanted to see if perhaps I could lessen pain before those appointments.

I think this afternoon/evening I will be setting forth a study plan for the next two days, as well as catching up on stuff that has fallen by the wayside--like LAUNDRY & dishes! Once laundry is done I can start packing! :D  I have a number of other errands I need to run [bank, gas station, library, church for documents scanning (for emergency retrieval while in Haiti), store returns, etc...], but think I will probably try to do those piecemeal around my chiro appt on Wednesday and my very full-day on Thursday (test in AM, standardized patient gig in the PM).

I know it's been the prayers of my friends and family that has enabled me to stay calm in the midst of everything. I have truly felt the Spirit's peace. Yesterday, I sent email to my prayer team and wrote:
"I am realizing this trip will be unlike my other trips, in that I won’t have spent weeks and months thinking, planning, reading about Haiti, etc…ahead of time.  It’s a unique place for me to be, as I am a planner/control freak! In some ways I feel I’m not as  “prepared” -- as I would prefer. But yet, I know all the bases are covered (even if I haven’t figured out the history, geography, and natural resources of Haiti!).  Because of this, I go with my hands empty and open and trusting the Lord to provide in my lacking. It’s actually kind of exciting and wonderful and possibly a BLESSING—even though it makes me a bit uneasy."  It's true, I have felt the Lord's supernatural hand on me these past few weeks and while my instinct is to want to be in control, I definitely am NOT in control. Back pain, car problems, storms...etc. I  can make a plan, but it doesn't mean that I'm in control. So going without knowing every single detail is kinda scary but in a sense very liberating! I'm so excited to see how God shows up in the midst of it all!  Actually, I'm half expecting my luggage not to make it...because sometimes that is how God works!

Two of us, on the Haiti team, are celebrating birthdays while in Haiti. I'm trying to be creative as to how we can uniquely celebrate. My birthday is at the beginning of the week (before we all really know each other) and then the other gal's birthday is at the end of the week. Hmm?  I've thought that water balloons would be fun and refreshing, but I'm not sure we'll have pressurized water to fill them up...maybe??

Well, off to be productive. Ur, I hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment