Saturday, May 5, 2012

I CANNOT NOT share this...

I've watched Grey's Anatomy on/off through the years, but only starting watching consistently during last season. Now I'm working my way through from the very beginning (thank you, Netflix).  I'm into the third season... and I know some of what's coming, so at times I get a little bored.

But tonight I was watching Episode 3x11, and this scene made me laugh and laugh and laugh! I'm glad I could find it on YouTube to share.  I can watch this over and over. It warms my heart.

 

While these two docs (interns) got all excited, it's my opinion that nurses really are the ones who get really excited about bowel and bladder happenings (or non-happenings). In my pediatric clinical this semester, I remember the teenage sister of my 10-year-old patient being so befuddled/confused/amused about all the interest and excitement about her sister's pee and poop. How much, when, and where.

For the non-medical people, our kidneys are very important organs. They filter out wastes that would otherwise build up in our blood stream and make us very sick. We measure kidney function in a variety of ways, but the easiest and cheapest is to assess urine output. At minimum, we want to see 30 mL/hr output. So the fact that O'Malley's dad (at risk for multiple organ failure following surgery) had an output of 130 mL in four hours indicates that his kidneys are maintaining minimal function.

But, of course, the whole jumping up and down thing... well, you won't ACTUALLY see nurses jumping up and down, but sometimes this is how we are feeling on the inside!

Hope you enjoyed!


No comments:

Post a Comment