Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake in Japan

Up early for clinical hearing reports of the 8.9 earthquake off shore of Japan. My cousin and his family live in Tokyo and I know other who have loved ones on other Japanese islands. Praying. Nothing much I can do from here other than that. Lord, please have mercy.

This is when I wish I worked for Red Cross or a humanitarian branch of the U.S. military. I'd drop anything to go when natural disasters strike. Nursing school is my first step--the rest of the story has not been written.

Update: I'm in conversations with my denomination's mission agency about possibility of traveling to Haiti this summer for a couple weeks.

Off to clinical...

UPDATE: Good news. My cousin and his family are fine. He apparently was not in Tokyo at the time, but his family was... his wife was with youngest daughter at school when it hit...went home to find son under kitchen table (scared). Then more tremors so the 3 of them stayed under table...but then they had to rush out to get oldest daughter who was still at school waiting to be picked up. Their neighborhood is fine, but they have friends in Sendai (where buildings collapsed).  So grateful they are okay. I'm sad to be missing the FB chatter and updates from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment