Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Haiti Trip | The Planning Begins

I've passed the first obstacle of going to Haiti! My nursing instructors have given me permission to take my final exams early! So it looks like I'm heading to Haiti in early May!

The remaining "obstacles" include:
  • Staying focused/diligent during final three weeks of the semester (once clinicals are over) to start the work of reviewing for my final exams --even while continuing to learn new information! The week that I leave, I'll be taking a Unit Test and two final exams! Studying, packing, errand-running all the same week.
  • Making time to properly prepare for this trip (spiritually, emotionally, professionally & culturally) amid school pressures.
  • Financial aspect of trip (required $550 plus airfare--would be nice to keep under a $1,000 but not sure that's feasible)
  • Moving up medical appt that I had already scheduled for May 5th.
  • Locating equipment (free-standing mosquito "net" + lightweight air mattress) to take with me.
Yes, there will be lots of list-making going on! And I'm probably going to dig up some of my old lists from Liberia travels to trigger new lists. 

I realize that by going to Haiti, I will have to give up donating platelets for a year (at least).  Here's hoping I can get 3 more donations in before I go--they are already scheduled, so hopefully my iron levels will cooperate!

I'm excited, nervous and not even sure what to expect. My team leader is currently in the Phillipines until end of March, so I expect more information will be coming in next couple weeks.

Because of EPIC training tomorrow afternoon, we won't be doing patient care in clinical tomorrow and thus no need to do patient prep today. So today will be spent studying for Pharmacology test which I hope to take on Thursday.


No comments:

Post a Comment