Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring Break | Spring Forward

Okay, why do they call it Spring Break when Spring doesn't actually start until NEXT Sunday?

It's really hard to believe that it is finally Spring Break. I haven't had a spring break in a very long time. Well, I've had them in the past couple years, but I've still had to go to work full-time so it never felt much like a break. My family has never been one to celebrate spring break with a trip or big activity simply because mom and dad worked and were putting kids through Christian school and colleges... AND generally we'd stay in town to celebrate Easter at our home church (usually spring break was scheduled on one side or the other of Easter).  

So I'm a little at a loss for how to spend my spring break. Yesterday was a clinical day, so afterwards around 3pm,  I stopped by Lowe's to look at flowers (thinking this would be a good week to plant some pansies and possibly plan ahead of summer flowers/herbs). I came home, had a small snack and then decided to take a nap. I never really woke up from the nap. I think it was probably 5:30 or 6:00pm when I fell asleep. I woke up about 2 am and turned off the lights that were on in the house and then went back to bed. I was a little afraid I might not be able to go back to sleep...but I was out again within 10 minutes! And I slept until 7:30 this morning. Must've needed sleep! Lately, I've wondered if I'm dealing with a bit of depression this semester. Wouldn't surprise me...SAD (seasonal affective disorder b/c of less sunlight exposure), living alone, not enough outdoor exercise, constancy of school obligations, minimal social interactions, etc. I don't actually feel any better for having slept that long last night, but I don't feel worse. And here it is Saturday afternoon and I want another nap! When I have my physical in May, I'll probably be asking to have my thyroid levels checked just in case. But since Daylight Savings Time starts this weekend, the increased daylight should help-- plus I'll be more apt to get out and walk/run with increased temps. Exercise and sunlight can do a lot to increase mood!  I guess I'd better get back to my SOSI plan (Sunshine, Oxygen, Social Interaction). There's already some SOSI in the works for tomorrow after church. Woot!

Here are a few of the things on my 'to do list' during Spring Break:
  • Clean house (saved for rainy day)
  • Yard work (flowers, debris pick up/blower)
  • Go to see Grace Card with mom/dad (probably Monday)
  • Shop at the new Kohl's Department store (so happy it's on my side of town!)
  • Make soup to freeze--Chicken Tortilla probably (rainy day?)
  • Virginia Taxes (while watching TV?)
  • Oil Change & other misc. car maintenance
  • Wash/Vacuum Car (just in time for pollen season???)
  • Get exercise/sunshine every day (walk, run, hike)
  • Solid focus on Lent activities: readings, soul-searching, repentance, etc...
  • School work -- I have a HUGE write-up for clinical due in three weeks (but would love to get as much done now , + start study for Pharm exam, NUR 112 lecture exam, ATI modules)
I have a fair amount of school stuff to catch up on or get ahead on. I have a Pharm assignment due tomorrow night  (it's not officially Spring Break until I turn that in). Test 2 in Pharm is the week after spring break...then NUR 112 lecture test is not far behind (March 28). Plus during testing weeks, I tend to fall behind with current reading, while I focus on studying for exams...so it'd be nice to get some advanced readings done this coming week...but all of sudden it's going to feel like a normal school week. Ack! Not good! Not good at all!  But maybe I'd be more motivated without deadlines?? Nah, probably not.

But I *do* have some school work I must do. So tomorrow evening I will probably sit down and make out a schedule for that. Not sure if I'd prefer to just spend 1-2 days on schoolwork or if I'd do better to set aside 2-3 hours every day. Hmm?

Basic School Stats for post-Spring Break:
  • 3 weeks of clinical left (approx 5-6 days, one of which will be training on UVA's new software-EPIC)
  • 6 weeks of classes left
  • 2 Pharm Exams, plus final exam
  • 2 Nursing Lecture Exams, plus final exam
  • Everything is completed by May 11th! :)
I may be crazy, but I am looking at a trip to Haiti that will leave before final exams are finished!  I'd have to get special permission from my nursing faculty to take my final exams early. It's probably insane of me to even contemplate, but it's the only MTW trip to Haiti scheduled for this summer. There is always possibility another team might form, but can't count on it. I'd really prefer to go with a known organization and not try my luck with a group I've never heard of before. There's a another local church with connections in Haiti who I'm planning to contact this week in hopes they may have a team or two going this summer. And I've also emailed the organization that I went to Liberia with to see if they are aware of any groups doing medical work there. Hopefully something will materialize.  I'd be open to another country--who am I to dictate what would be best for me. Aside from wanting to go to Haiti, I also have to consider the cost. I think Central or South America would be okay destinations cost-wise. However, African or Asian countries are just not a viable option because the airfare would be cost prohibitive. I think I'll save Asia for the future as I have two cousins that reside on that side of the world. There's no guarantee of a job/income this summer, so I'm really stretching it to even consider traveling this year since I have to make my savings last me through summer of 2012. Fundraising is an option, but after doing that for 12 months of expenses for Liberia, I really don't want to think about doing that again.

Well, tonight we set our clocks ahead one hour...plus I'm also making an effort to attend the early worship service during Lent...double whammy tomorrow morning! oof! So I better go start setting those clocks ahead and head out for a short walk while there's still light! I am a little nervous, that after having slept 13-14 hours last night (!), I may have trouble falling asleep tonight (+considering I'll go to bed an hour earlier).

Until Later,
Joy



 

No comments:

Post a Comment