Thursday, March 17, 2011

Not Over Yet

Feeling miserable tonight after migraine (+aura) earlier today. Pain has pretty must gone (I'm fortunate that they don't hang around for days). Just generally feel icky and my neck and back are tight. What I'd give for a massage! (ack. I'm just remembering that I had planned to go to the VA School of Massage this week for a cheapy --oh shucks!)

The power keeps flickering off and upsetting my modem (not sure what the deal is with the power.) But I'm feeling kinda smart tonight (or dumb?). After frozen cable modem needed resetting twice today, I realized I should just try moving the cable modem downstairs and see if it would work if plugged into the Cable-cable (for cable TV which I don't have). And it works! I could bring the wireless box downstairs too, but I'd FAR prefer to be hardwired anyways. The only reason it was even upstairs was because the homeowners have a desktop up there and so all the internet stuff was there too. I had initially thought that I would run a hardwire from upstairs to downstairs to improve connectivity, but DUH! this is much simpler! Oh, but I guess if I want to access via my iPod, I better hook up the wireless too. Alrighty then.

Spring Break is blowing by. I'm so sad. I can't believe it's Thursday night. Only 3 more days of freedom. I've not gotten near the stuff done that I wanted. My mornings have basically been non-productive in the sense of marking things off my list. I have loved sleeping in and waking without my alarm clock, but then I lose a lot of my morning. I have enjoyed lunch with friends this week and have another lunch date tomorrow for Thai! Yum! Can't wait.

I haven't gotten as much school stuff done as I'd like. I had planned to get some stuff done this afternoon/evening but with the migraine, my eyes hurt (after the aura) so hopefully tomorrow.  I've got reading due for lecture on Monday, so that is now a priority this weekend. Plus need to do some major review for Pharm test (#2) due next week. Also REALLY need to put some time in on my big H&PE write-up this weekend--before clinical starts back. Thankfully I've got two weeks to work on it, but still, would be nice to have bulk done before break is over. Not sure that's possible.

  • I also wanted to get Pansies planted and to get some seeds planted (indoors), but this week has been largely a "no planting" week per the Farmer's Almanac Gardening Calendar (which my mom SWEARS by). So I'll wait until Sunday early evening to plant my pansies when the calendar says it is good to plant again. Not sure when I'll get to planting seeds--maybe first couple days of April--thankfully a weekend). According to Farmer's Almanac, C'ville's average last frost is April 7th, so I definitely can get moving on direct seed planting or transplanting soon thereafter. Nothing like buying seed packs and then looking at them unopened in June. bleh. I bought perennial seeds which probably won't bloom this year. Probably should just go back and get annual seeds so I can enjoy some color this summer (and enjoy perennials next year). But WHY bother anyways, the deer are just going to eat them. I like rural living except for the deer. Too bad the constantly-barking dog next door doesn't stay out all night. He'd be great for keeping the deer away!  Maybe I should just go and buy some artificial flowers and stick those in the ground! haha. just kidding! 
  • I did get yard debris (from those very windy days) picked up and hauled to another part of my property. My parents loaned me their blower so I had a fun time cleaning off the patio of the endless pine needles and debris!  I still need to blow off the driveway, but there's no rush on that.
  • I did go see Grace Card with my parents on Monday and shopped yesterday at the new Kohl's on the last day to use my 30% off coupon. Woo hoo! 
  • VA taxes are proving to be a PAIN to file online. If I did file online (for free), I'd have to re-enter my Federal Tax info again on new site-ugh!).  I refuse to do that (after my frustration with federal the first time around) and will just file VA taxes via mail. Yes, I can be stubborn. No, I'm not an online idiot--although you'd think so. ANYWAYS, Virginia taxes aren't actually DUE until May 2, so I've got plenty of time. And since I'm expecting a refund, I'll probably wait until after school is out when I've got more time.
  • Haven't done anything about washing/vacuuming my car. sigh. Weather is supposed to be DIVINE tomorrow, so maybe I'll take an hour to get vacuuming done and then run through car wash this weekend. 
  • Did not get car to mechanic this week as I had hoped. When you live 25 min away, it's a big pain for a single person coordinate getting to/from mechanics without inconveniencing friends/coworkers! I do have local Earlysville mechanic I could go to, but I REALLY don't like him at all and pretty sure he would take 2-3 days to do what my mechanic would do in less than a day. So I'll wait until clinicals are over in mid-April--and then maybe take CTA bus to PVCC for the day.
  • The ingredients for Chicken Tortilla soup are sitting on the counter-top waiting for me to be inspired. Never fear, the chicken is thawing in the refrigerator! It's actually the EASIEST recipe, but cooking up the chicken and then shredding it takes the most time.

I've been moderately "successful" with my Lent fasts. No problem with Facebook (although it is still a self-denial thing as I'd really like to be on it). I did start watching "Must Love Dogs" with Diane Lane and John Cusack, but then about 10 minutes in to it I realized my error and stopped it and went and found something else to do. Don't really miss my Pop Country all that much, but then I did do well to prepare appropriate playlist ahead of time. A couple of other things I've had a hard time letting go of (I think because unplugging from FB has been hard), but His mercies are new every morning. It's been interesting, my hope was that I'd think LESS about a certain fella, but reality is that I probably think about him more. And since I'm waking up naturally, I am waking up remembering my dreams and a couple times he's been in them. Mercy. I did get a "talking to" by some friends today telling me I just need to tell him and/or figure out how to move on since he's not asking to spend time with me :(  Yes, yes, I hear you: "He's just not that into you." This crush has gone on admittedly WAY to long, which is why it's kinda hard to give up hope after all this time.


I'm glad that Lent lasts as long as it does. One week would not be enough. Looking deeply in to the heart and repenting is hard work that can not be rushed. Plus selfishness, laziness, apathy and stubbornness must be fought daily. While I could say that Lent might be easier if I was hidden away in some monastery for 46 days, the reality is that life, for me, is not normally lived in seclusion and I'd just be smacked upside the head with the cares of the world on Day 48. So it's good to have to struggle through this season in the midst of the cares of my every day life. More challenging? Yes. More rewarding? Maybe. More meaning? Probably. The real challenge will be Days 13-46 as I'll be back to school and won't have the luxury of extra time to spend in prayer and meditation on the Word--it will be a FIGHT. But wonderfully there is grace, mercy, healing despite my failures to observe a "perfect" Holy Lent or failures to do anything perfectly.

Here are YouTube links to some of the songs on my Lent Playlist... some are ballad-like, some are rock'n.

Sing to Jesus | Fernando Ortega
You are God Alone | Phillips, Craig & Dean
Surrender & Sing Me a Love Song | BarlowGirl
By Thy Mercy | High Street Hymns
For Those Who Wait | Firelight
My Hope | David Crowder Band | Lyrics
Satisfy | Tenth Avenue North
Blessed Be Your Name | Tree63
O Sacred Head Now Wounded | Selah
No Matter What | Kerrie Roberts
Open Me | Shawn McDonald

I've got about 5.5 hours on this playlist, but I'll spare you! Lucky for you, not all are available on YouTube.

Update on my cousin and his family in Tokyo: They are staying put for the time being and not evacuating. I suppose that could change at any moment, as they are just taking it one day at a time. My cousin flew in to Tokyo this past Wednesday to reunite with his family. No problems with flight or transportation in Tokyo. He had been in Hungary on a trip with some of the Japanese students he works with when the quake/tsunami hit. I think their kids are continuing to go to school despite the concerns with radiation (this probably helps to keep kids calm and allows parents to go to work (to keep society functioning). Not sure what the current state of food/gas are- but they don't seem entirely worried. I think they'll have roving blackouts for a while yet. It's my understanding that Japan continue to have tremors/quakes (I think these are generally part of life for most Japanese) with resulting tsunami warnings. After you've been through a 9.0, I'd imagine every tremor brings back those awful memories!

Haiti Update: I've made a number of contacts and just need to get more information. My cousin and uncle (related to cousin in Japan) are headed to Haiti after Easter I think. They'll be a great resource for travel info.

Well, I need to head for bed. 'Tis late!

Joy

1 comment: