Wednesday, June 6, 2012

NCLEX Indecision

Yesterday evening I drove to Richmond to have dinner with my nursing school study partners who are taking the Kaplan Course live this week. On the way, I stopped by the NCLEX testing location (PearsonVue). It's nice to visit the location, make sure you can find it and estimate time (usually test runs are done at the same time of day and same day of the week as scheduled test).

My friend's experience with the live Kaplan course has been disappointing. Apparently the instructor just rushes through each question and starts eliminating answers using Decision Tree BEFORE the students have even gotten the chance to read the answers for themselves. Uh, hello? Obviously the teacher is very familiar with the questions (same for every course) and has forgotten that these students haven't seen these Q&A's before. Too bad. My friends said that they've gotten out of class early EVERY DAY (and were ahead of schedule) - which obviously points to the fact that the instructor is rushing through the questions. I feel so bad for them- sounds like a less than ideal experience and possibly a waste of money. My online instructor was really great about pacing our class and we never got out of class early.

Anywhoo, the title of this post alludes to my indecision over NCLEX. What is there to be indecisive about? Basically the when & where. Why? Well, last night one of my friends said she remembered hearing rumors that it was better to test in a location other than Richmond and that she's planning to test in Lynchburg. The reasoning? Something about someone (or multiple people) who failed more than once at Richmond, and ended up passing in another Virginia testing location. Well, I could see several scenarios where this could happen. 1) This person simply wasn't ready and therefore third time was a charm (regardless of location) and 2) this person simply needed a change of location to reduce anxiety and remain calm--thus improving her performance. So I'm not really sure what to think of this rumor.  Is this just one person's experience? Is it even feasible that there might be a glitch in the system that would make once testing center's experience more difficult than another? I have a hard time imagining that. Yet...I have rescheduled my exam...to the Lynchburg location. And because of the location switch, I had to move up my exam date. BUT that gave me a better testing time of 2pm rather than 8am. Which means I won't have to get up crazy early or get a hotel room. So now I can drive down late morning, grab lunch and then catch a snooze in my car before going into exam.

I didn't really want to test on a Friday (because it takes longer to get results from Board of Nursing website/phone), but I think because I used my driver's license (rather than SSN) when I registered with the BON, I probably won't get results the next morning anyways. I'm hoping that the PearsonVue trick will work for me (way to get unofficial results by trying to sign up to take the exam again; see allnurses.com), otherwise I'll just  have to wait until Monday or Tuesday of the following week to get my results. But whatever. Reality is that once the exam shuts down, there's nothing more you can do. Worrying about passing/not passing is not going to change anything.

But thankfully, I can still change my test date. However, the closer we get to the date, the fewer the options are for rescheduling. The good thing about moving up my exam is that it's done that much sooner! I've re-worked my calendar (and will have some Saturday studying to do), but it's still very doable!

No comments:

Post a Comment