Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Sky's the Limit

Finally feeling a bit of nervousness. I am heading to bed shortly and I hope I'll be able to sleep restfully tonight. Probably will need an Ambien to help get me into la-la land.

It's kinda surreal that what I've worked long and hard for is now at my door. Finishing school and graduating was such a big deal, but reality is that I'm not a nurse until I'm licensed.  I can't do anything with my nursing education until I apply it to this exam. It's the same for medical students, law students, architects, engineers, etc... Lord willing, tomorrow I will become a legitimate professional nurse.

I've never been a career girl. Never aspired to climb that ladder. That has never been my dream. Still isn't. But reality is that I'm in my late 30's and no job I've ever held has had any potential for advancement (or advancement that I was interested in). There's a chance that I may never marry. There's a chance that it will be just me making plans for retirement, something I really have no interest in. I always figured that I'd marry a guy who'd have a clue about such things and I'd be off the hook for making those financial decisions. I'd contribute, if needed, but I totally didn't expect to be the one figuring out my financial future. Alas, reality has smacked me in the face and I've woken up to the fact that it is up to me. No one else (except maybe my dad) cares about my financial future. Despite my fervent denial of my situation, the years have passed quickly since my first college degree. I wish it hadn't taken me so long. I honestly thought I'd be married by 28, then it was 32, then 36. I'm grateful that I finally woke up and realized that I needed to make a change and grow-up and take control of my financial future. So I went to nursing school, graduated and I'm now preparing to start my career. But YET, I still do not think of myself as a career woman! It's not in my soul to climb the ladder for the means of achievement and status. For me, climbing the ladder is now a sort of financial necessity. And wonderfully, in nursing, the sky's the limit! And speaking of skies... I could even become a flight nurse and combine my love for flying and medicine!! 

Well, it's time to say goodnight. Big day tomorrow. And hopefully the next time I post...I'll have a few extra letters after my name!


No comments:

Post a Comment