Friday, April 20, 2012

applications

In an effort to put off studying this evening, I decided I should spend my evening working on job applications. But I really dislike resume writing. Actually, I think it's more the online application process that I dislike. Online is so, er, flat, unattractive and lacking any personality. I like the clean aesthetics of an hard copy resume. You know, with fonts, bold and italics to tie it all together. Online is just ugly. It definitely pains this art degree-holder to have to use a font she did not purposefully choose. Okay, so I'm glad they aren't forcing me to use Courier. Now that might actually kill me.

Plus then there are all those questions about starting and ending dates and pay and blah, blah, blah. When I start a job, I remember the date long enough to show up on my first date and to celebrate my first anniversary on the job. And I never remember my end date. Who remembers that?  I'm detail-oriented, but I'm not THAT obsessive. I know what month, generally, I started and ended a job. And honestly, I never remember what I'm paid at those jobs. Are you serious? What I was paid at those jobs is not going to matter one iota (sp?) to the nurse managers looking at my past employment history.

And WHERE do I get to put in my REAL nursing experience? Sure I wasn't paid or employed but I know I should get credit and brag about the 500+ hours of clinical experience that I've done.

So now I'm thinking I might go study for my Maternity test in order to put-off working on the online application.  Pathetic, I know.

What started this, was this morning we had alumni from our nursing program come back and answer questions from our graduating class. One nurse works on the med-surg unit where I had clinical last fall (seems like forever ago). We connected a bit and talked about the environment on that unit amid other things. And then my sweet, sweet instructor (who organized the Alumni Q&A for our class and who also was my psych clinical instructor), said "You guys would be an amazing pair! You'd work great together and make a real difference on that unit" based on some of the discussions we were having. Yes, those are the kinds of words you want to hear from an instructor! And definitely in front of someone who could potentially put my application in front of her nurse manager! So... I was inspired to finally work on my job application.

So getting into the nursing program was very competitive. Surviving the nursing program was an act of my will - every day. And now graduating and LEAVING the nursing program to find a job - it shouldn't be so, er, annoying.  Okay, it's FRIDAY, I'm tired and I'm just being a baby. Sure could use a personal online application coach. lol.

Hopefully there are some completed applications in my future. Well, yeh, and a JOB too! :D








No comments:

Post a Comment