Tuesday, April 17, 2012

$390 Investment

Just forked out $190 for application to be licensed as an RN in the state of Virginia. Then forked another $200 to Pearson Vue to register to take the NCLEX exam (nursing boards).  But hey, what's $390 when it holds the key to an RN job????

I can't apply for an NCLEX testing date until after my school sends an official transcript declaring my degree in nursing to the Virginia Board of Nursing (Va BON). I've heard that the time from graduation until paperwork is dealt with at the VA BON is about 30 days. Then once I've been deemed as a valid candidate, I'll get more information as to signing up for specific testing date.

I'll be taking an intensive prep/review course through Kaplan prior to taking the NCLEX...but since I don't know when I'm taking the NCLEX, it's a little hard to be strategic about when sign up for the review course. And lucky for us...they no longer offer Kaplan courses in our town! So now it looks like I'll be heading to DC (where my sister lives) or to Richmond.

**For those of you lurking here because you are in nursing school or applying to nursing school, this NCLEX book has been an awesome addition to my study materials DURING nursing school. A great investment. Not only are there loads of NCLEX practice questions...but the book provides a comprehensive subject review for each body system (skin, cardiovascular, respiratory) and other related content (pediatrics, maternity, psych). For each body system chapter, there's loads of great content including assessments, signs/symptoms, diagnostics, disease processes, medications and treatment info...pretty much the same content you are getting in your lecture courses in nursing school...but in a more condensed, no nonsense fashion. Then at end of each chapter there are NCLEX questions for that section--which is a nice way to test content knowledge in preparation for tests. I've known some students who have skipped their textbooks entirely and studied directly for lecture tests from a similar NCLEX prep book. I do not recommend this... but rather highly suggest it as a good supplement for test prep.  FYI- the pictured version is what I have, but I know there's a more recent edition on the shelves (green book, I think).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment