Saturday, April 9, 2011

Next Semester Blues

The fall schedule has been published and it's not very pretty. Although aside from having all lectures on Monday, I'm not sure what other options there are.

Monday "off"
Tuesday: (9-11 am) Lecture Topic 1  + patient prep (all day)
Wednesday: Clinical A
Thursday (9-11 am) Lecture Topic 2 + patient prep (all day)
Friday Clinical B
Saturday "off"
Sunday "off"

We'll have a Psych clinical and lecture and an Advanced Med/Surg clinical and lecture. For the fall semester it seems that they are splitting up the Day program into two lecture sections. Half will take Psych lecture on Tuesday, the other half will take Psych lecture on Thursday...and the same for Med/Surg. I don't know why they don't just have one Psych lecture section and one Adv Med/Surg lecture section--seems like the staff could be better utilized. I wonder if they'll be assigning us to our lecture slot too. I sure hope not--I really want to be in the same lectures as two of my friends (we've been "together" for all our lecture classes so far---and we met in Health Assessment last summer).

Sure enough, looks like my weekends will be spent doing the readings for both classes. blech. Two days of patient prep might kill me. My understand is, that in the past, that clinical groups assigned to Western State for Psych don't have to do patient prep! But those at Ch'ville locations do! So it feels a little unfair! If not doing patient prep, that means they've got more time to study for lecture. Maybe they'll seek to make it more fair? But it's nice to see that Psych clinicals start at 0800 and not 0700. Also Psych is considered our "intensive writing course". Lovely.

I am hoping that I can get a hold of next semester's text books and be diligent to spend summer reading. I am a world-star procrastinator...so I'll have to fight that. Once I get back from Haiti, I'll have approximately 99 days before fall semester starts. I really need a BREAK and I don't want to burn myself out (reading/covering same material from May through November). However, I think next semester's crazy schedule might just be the motivation I need to get bulk of readings done early. I really hated our Med-Surg text book this semester--it was not easy on the eyes...hopefully next semester's books will be.

Well, I've got a lot of reading to do today...so I better get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment